YOUTH SMALL BUSINESS PROGRAM
TURN YOUR PASSION INTO A BUSINESS!
Are you 16 to 29 years old? Transform your idea into a viable business plan.
Rise YSBP Participant
- "The Rise program has completely transformed my life. I took everything I have learned to build a business that I not only love, but I am also very proud of Thanks to this business I am now able to fully financially support myself by doing something I love."
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
Our Youth Small Business Program can help jump start your idea and make it a reality. Designed to help youth aged 16 to 29 launch or grow a small business, this program is a great opportunity to learn essential business and financial skills through interactive workshops and business coaching while developing the confidence to run a successful business.
What does the program include:
Workshops: Creative and interactive sessions are taught by self-employment experts and subject matter experts. Participants work together and discuss business strategies and concepts to develop their business skills. At home, participants can access online resources and support and use a customized Business Plan Workbook to develop their business plans.
Coaching: Business coaching provides you with the necessary support and guidance as you grow your idea and develop your business plan. You will receive individual and group coaching from volunteers with business experience and a desire to give back.
Laptop: Don’t have a computer? Borrow one from us. The laptop becomes yours when you graduate.
Financing: Once you graduate, you will receive a $500 start-up grant or the previously mentioned refurbished laptop. You may be eligible to apply for a low-interest small business loan from Rise if you need additional start-up funds.
Selection for the program will be based on the viability of the business idea, the strength of the applicant’s commitment to starting a business and the applicant’s readiness to participate in the program. Applicants must demonstrate a strong commitment to the program through regular attendance, completion of homework assignments and submission of a business plan and pitch by the end of the program.
What are the benefits?
- Business development: Gain the skills and confidence to develop your idea and launch your business (part-time or full-time).
- Networking & Coaching: Network with like-minded individuals and build connections with local entrepreneurs and experienced business professionals.
- Financing: Successful grads can apply for a low-interest startup business loans through Rise.
When: The Youth Small Business Program will be offered in Fall 2019. Each session is approximately three months in length, and the workshops are held two days per week.
Where: In Toronto, at the Rotman School of Management at the University of Toronto, 105 St. George Street.
Sign-up for our wait-list today?
- Do you have a practical idea to start or grow your own for-profit, small business (any size, both full or part time/seasonal opportunities are welcome)?
- Can you commit to attending all course sessions and submit all assignments?
- Would you have difficulty obtaining traditional bank financing?
- Do you self-identify as having experienced a mental health and/or addiction challenges?
- Are you between the ages of 16 and 29?
- Are you a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident of Canada?